Each institution must choose whether to report payments received or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College has chosen to report amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2). We also report any scholarships/grants you received (free money not required to be paid back to include Out of State Tuition Waivers as they are considered a scholarship) on the 1098-T form (Box 5). We do not report out of pocket payments received (Box 1) on the 1098-T form. This includes cash, check, credit card, and loan payments. For more information about the deduction or credit see [PDF], Form 8863, Education Credits, and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions.
Following is an explanation of the information ABAC reports:
- Filer’s Name and Address box: The institution’s address (Student Accounts address) is printed in this box.
- Filer’s Federal Identification Number box: The institution’s FEIN and a contact phone number (229-391-4924) are printed in this box. Students can contact this phone number if they have any questions pertaining to their Form 1098-T.
- Student’s Social Security Number box: The student’s social security number is printed in this box. Only the last four digits are printed on the form. If the student did not provide a SSN, there will be no SSN reported.
- Student’s Name and Address boxes: The student’s name and mailing address (MA) are printed in these boxes (if the mailing address field is not populated in Banner, the address hierarchy looks for permanent address.)
- Box 2: This box contains the total amount that was billed during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses, which is defined as “tuition and fees that a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.”
- Box 4: This box contains any billing adjustments that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 5: This box contains the total amount of scholarships/grants received during the calendar year for the payment of the student’s costs of attendance.
- Box 6: This box contains any scholarship/grant adjustments that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 8: This box is checked if the student was enrolled in 6 or more credit hours in the fall semester, spring semester, and summer semester.
- Box 9: This box is checked if the student was a graduate student.